Wednesday, March 26, 2014

a wall of hand of fatima/hamsa collection

I have collected a few hand of Fatima/hamsa as jewelry and wall decorations over the years. One of them hangs on my entry door and it has been apartmentf15's logo since the beginning of my blogging journey. They are beautiful palm-shaped (hand) symbols of protection against the evil eye, also known for bringing good luck and prosperity. It has been used in Islamic, Jewish and Christian religions throughout history. They were painted on the walls of houses, hung on doorways for protection. Hand of Fatima is the name of the daughter of Mohammed. An alternative Jewish name for it is the Hand of Miriam in reference to the sister of Moses and Aaron. Levantine Christians call it the hand of Mary, for the Virgin Mary. Popular shapes are the one with two symmetrical thumbs, or one thumb up or they are non symmetrical and shaped like actual hands. Lately they have become universal symbols of good luck used in jewelries and wall hangings.

On the book cover of Living in Morocco by Barbara & Rene Stoeltie, a luscious blue background wall with an array of hands of Fatima, a match made in heaven! I was so fascinated by the look, I wanted to do something similar on my walls.

#peony #peonies #vignette #buddha #coffetable #morning #coffee #moroccan #book #livinginmorocco #hamsa #moroccanpouf #lassicup #beautiful #love #decor #interiordecor #decoration #mystyle

The beautiful book that inspired me sitting on my coffee table...

Talismanic Moroccan design to ward off the evil eye.
via themagicfarawayttree

Here is the picture used for the book cover.


via diaryofazebra

Another inspiration came from diaryofazebra . Her gorgeous kitchen with hand of Fatima collection on the wall, to die for! diaryofazebra was gracious enough to lend me this picture from her instagram account. This wall gave me an inspiration for sure since the day I saw it!


via 79ideas
(by le journal de la maison, photography: christophe madamour)

Two apartments combined into one in a small town near Paris shows Moroccan and Mediterranean influences. Loving the fresh, crisp blue paint and hand of Fatima collection on the wall.


via pinterest

hamsa wall
via pinterest

My hamsa wall.
via pinterest

I actually don't know the origins of the three photos above. I found them on Pinterest and they are some of my favorites.


via moodboard

Hand of Fatima amulets pop on these luscious dark green walls.

Happy Friday!xx #handoffatima #fatimashand #hamsa #evileye #hands #collection #love #beautiful #moroccan #turkish #boho #bohemian #tribal #bohemiandecor #globalstyle #mystyle #gypset #gypsy #decor #vintage #vsco #vscocam

Here are some of my hand of Fatima/hamsa collection. They are Turkish, Moroccan, Jewish and each unique and beautiful.

My #handoffatima #fatimashand #hamsa #collection :)xx #evileye #chinesedoors #closetdoors #moroccanlantern #indianlantern #decor #interiordecor #details #interiordesign #love #beautiful #bohodecor #bohemiandecor #boho #bohemian #tribal #globalstyle #mystyle

They hang on the wall by my Chinese closet doors. I am still collecting but right now I am happy with what I have:)

I am amazed that this hand symbol is so universal and unifying. What do you think about hand of Fatima/hamsa, do you wear it or use it in your decor?



No comments:

Post a Comment