Wednesday, March 6, 2013

handira obsession

I have been obsessing over Moroccan wedding blankets (handira) for a while and pinning them like crazy. Today, I wanted to share a few of them that I liked on Pinterest. I was lucky I found mine on ebay, the seller also has a lovely online site hivernage , selling handiras. I found a few more sellers during my search. Maryam Montague, blogger at http://www.mymarrakesh.com , who owns a shop called redthreadsouk has gorgeous handiras. I also have been pinning from elramlahamra , they sell beautiful handiras. I love their pictures of handiras in a white decor which make me want to redecorate my apartment to all white. My other pinterest friends beyondmarrakech and importsfrommarrakesh are also selling gorgeous handiras.

Lately these beautiful blankets have been very popular and highly sought design items by interior designers. They were originally made for wedding ceremony by the bride's family, the shiny sequins brings luck to the couple and ward off evil spirits. They were made a unique weaving of wool, cotton, fluffy tufts and shiny sequins hand crafted in the High Atlas Mountains of Morocco by Berber women. They can be used in any decor as bedspreads, wall hangings, wall coverings or throws.


This is my handira in the livingroom with my African masks. I am planing to use it as a bed throw. I will post images soon...

Here are some of the pictures I liked on Pinterest;

love the Moroccan wedding blanket at the foot of the bed
via pinterest

Eclectic bedroom, handira used at the foot of the bed.

lesliewilliamson_ericatanov
via pinterest

Another gorgeous handira used as a blanket at the foot of the bed.

Black and White Handira <3<3<3
via pinterest

Love this vintage black and white handira. How beautiful is this? The black tufts just pop right at you. Love the white and gold poufs too. They complement the rest of the color scheme in the room.


via aestheticshelter

Guestroom at Peacock Pavilions. Beautiful vintage sequinned Moroccan wedding blanket in the bedroom, neutrals with touch of color from turquoise headboard and colorful Moroccan cushions. Love the lanterns floating on each side of the bed, my hubby is wiring a couple of lanterns and I am planning to hang them smilar to this. Hopefully they would look as good as these!


via songofstyle

The shinnier the prettier...

Morocco Trip
via decor8blog

Morocco Trip
via decor8blog

Peacock Pavilions rooms. Maryam, who runs the retreat, is also the author of "Marrakesh by Design" book.

51ba20aad9127e0c820002c8._w.540_s.fit_
via apartmentthearphy


via meghancarter

Stunning bedroom.


via pinterest

Neutral tones in the bedroom, gorgeous handira and beni ourain rug, serene indeed. Who wouldn't want to sleep here?

handira woolen blanket available at el ramla hamra webshop
via pinterest

I love elramlahamra's pictures. The headbord is made from 2 huge copper plates, what a great idea!

Love the use of contrast, pattern n texture
via pinterest

Felt rug as a headboard, Indian chair, Moroccan wedding blanket and Moroccan lantern. Love, love, love everything in this bedroom!


via aestheticshelter

This black handira in the picture by lonny magazine shines like starry nights. How about some colors?


via heinteriorevolution

And red handira...

Rare Vintage Moroccan Handira Blanket
via hivernage

Gorgeous rare vintage yellow handira from hivernage.


via beyondmarrakech

Handiras used as pillows too.


via beyondmarrakech


via thedecorista

On the armchair.


via mybluecanoe

Handira on the wall.

Pinned Image
via remodelista

Hanging a handira behind the bed, who needs a headboard?


via decorista

Low this graphic sofa with handira rug and pillow.


via thenowstylebook

Handira used as a rug. Silver tub, silver framed mirror and silver sequined handira rug, minimal yet so rich.


via meghancarter


via meghancarter

Yes please! Handira used as an outdoor rug but, I am not sure how long that blanket would last outdoors?

What do you think about handiras? Would you use it in your decor, how would you use it?




No comments:

Post a Comment